College basketball players are mostly known for their abilities to make jump shots, drive to the rim or play lock-down defense.
What hoops fans don't see is the tireless hours that their favorite athletes spend being a regular student. Their daily challenge is to balance their duties of going to class, attending tutor sessions and completing homework assignments with their responsibilities to watch film, practice and compete at a high level.
This year was a banner year for Ole Miss Hoops in the classroom, as the program continues to make great strides academically during Andy Kennedy's tenure as head coach.
Here are some of the Rebels' academic achievements in 2011-12:
- Prestigious Academic Progress Rate (APR) Public Recognition Award, along with women's basketball, women's golf and softball
- Top multi-year APR score (990) among SEC men's basketball teams
- Perfect APR score (1,000) for 2010-11
- Everyone is currently eligible
- 2012 Spring semester team GPA: 2.41
- Current resident team GPA: 2.47
- Will Norman made the SEC Winter Academic Honor Roll for 2011-12
- Will Norman made the Chancellor's Honor Roll for fall 2011
- Aaron Jones and Jelan Kendrick made the UMAA Honor Roll for spring 2012
- Six players raised their resident GPA this semester
- Four players had their highest semester GPA since being at Ole Miss
- Terrance Henry (criminal justice) and Steadman Short (general studies) earned their undergraduate degrees
- Nick Williams (general studies) completed his graduation requirements and plans to pursue a second degreeFollow Rebel Hoops on Twitter @OleMissMBB